The Coffee Question

Kris,

Since I am known amongst my friends and family as being a bit of a
coffee snob and aficionado, I'll share what has worked for me in
previous camping scenarios.  Both at home and in the woods, I use a
French Press coffee maker.  None of the flavorful oils found in
coffee get trapped in a paper filter, and it doesn't require
electricity.  I grind my beans at home before leaving (a compromise,
I know!), and add two coffee-bean measuring scoops per mug to the
bottom of the french press.  Get some water boiling on the campfire
(or propane stove) and add it just as it reaches boiling into the
pot.  Fill up to where the top of the band is, or just below where
the spout is.  Stir with a spoon to get all the beans moistened and
let it brew for four minutes.  I bring a kitchen timer with me for
accuracy; that, and I am easily distracted, especially that early in
the morning before coffee, so I'm readily reminded without
over-extracting the coffee.  When the timer goes off, I press the
"plunger" down, and "Voila!" - delicious, freshly-brewed coffee.

They have plastic French Press pots available, as well as those with
glass carafes, and they start in the $15-20 range.  I find that
french-press coffee isn't quite as bitter as percolator coffee, but
it basically starts with how you prefer your coffee.  I imagine
you'll get quite a few excellent responses, so I wish you the best of
luck in finding which one works best for you.

Kindest Regards,

Tracey Ritter
Portland, OR
--