Taking care of human nutrition and electrolytes

Hi Ridecampers.  Yesterday I was talking to a doctor at work and she was laughing to me about a colleague who "heard the sounds of hoofbeats, and knew it was a zebra--not a horse!"  In other words.. are  we all getting really scientific here about electrolytes when it may be a bit of overkill?    When we go to the rides..we have all learned to feed the horses. We also give electrolytes, but food is essential.
   In all the talk about human electrolytes, I am hearing about very scientific formulas that are way more complex than gatorade and endorsed by Sylvester Stallone and so forth.
   One thing I notice is that nobody mentions food. Someone in fact mentioned that one of the electrolyte formulas has no calories. Now why would you want that?  On a ride like Tevis, I read a research study that the human athletes burn up about 7000 calories in energy. Do you know that Olympic swimmers eat almost that much daily?   You can get a lot of your electrolytes from cheap and easy food, and also  get your needed calories.  Of course, we need to be mindful of adequately hydrating ourselves, especially in hot and humid conditions. I recommended to one person that they prehydrate themselves before a big weekend, by cutting back on caffeine, no pre-ride alcohol binges, drinking 3-5 liters per day of fluid in the preceeding days depending on your body size. You can judge if you are adequately hydrated by the  clearness and quantity of the pee pee!  You do not need to be supplementing yourselves hourly with Manganese, Chromium, Selenium.   You do need Sodium, Potassium, Chloride, and Calcium is important too.  In reality if you were really poor, you could lick the salt shaker, take some 'lite salt" and eat a TUMs.  I know some people don't like Gatorade, and have found that it doesn't sit well with them. But for other people, it may be just the ticket. I have heard of some folks watering it down, and adding a little salt to it.  As for food, you would need a complex carbohydrate, and some proteins for long lasting energy. Gatorade contains simple carbohydrates in the form of Sucrose.  But if you were to eat a Banana, or an orange...you would get a good dose of pottassium, and also a more complex carbohydrate.   Other things that are high in Potassium include peanut butter (also has manganese, and protein ), nuts, chocolate, tomatoes, carrots, prunes.  Eating a quality trail mix with dried fruits in it, would be a good source of nutrition for riders.  Cheese would be easy to eat, full of protein, and calcium. Watermelon and cantalope are good foods that act as hydrators also, not to mention grapes. Start eating --and drinking early in the day, before you get your body into a metabolic deficit, and you should feel better.  The ultramarathoners take electrolyte pills, but that is a different situation, and before you start medicating yourselves with electrolyte pills, maybe ought to talk to a Doctor. I would blow off the Nutrasweet/ or Sweet and low until another day--way after the ride.   I always feel bad when I'm at a ride, and see that someone has done a nice job of taking care of their horse, and completely neglected their own health until they are weak and nauseated, and depressed.  That is when a good crew member brings out the lemon meringue pie! ha ha.  It's also nice to see a rider perk right up after a good meal.  Take care of yourselves campers!   yours, Beth  Glover (riding RN)