Re: RC: Cushings Disease

Wow Kathy, I was just reading an article on Cushings,
here's what they have to say about testing.

2 types of tests, both requiring blood samples. one is the
dexamethasone suppression test, it is not recommended in
horses with a history of laminitis or founder and the
administration of steroids may cause a laminitic episode.
The other test measures the daily rhythm of secretion of
cortisol, insulin, and thyroid hormone. As with any test
there can be false positives and false negatives, but both
are fairly reliable for diagnosing. Treatment is lifelong,
two drugs available are pergolide and cyproheptadine. The
second is least expensive but the first is most effective.
Routine bloodwork is recommended to determine if the drugs
are effective. Cushings horses must also have vigilent
routine preventive health care (dentistry, deworming,
vaccinations) due to their less effective immune system.
Also recommends a high quality balanced diet. This was
quickly typed from the Northwest Horse Source and written
by Lilsette T. Druliner, DVM (I paraphrased!) and the
magazine has a website where you could perhaps read online
or obtain a copy, www.nwhorsesource.com

heidi
--- Kathy <kc85124@mail.uark.edu> wrote:
> HI, after reading the symptoms of Cushings Disease I'm
> thinking my 6 yr. old
> gelding may have it or is he too young.  What is the test
> for it and is it
> expensive?  Poor guy had EMP last year.   He is recovered
> from it pretty much
> except still has some muscle loss.  Thanks for the info.
> Kathy

> Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net,
> http://www.endurance.net.
> Information, Policy, Disclaimer: