Re: RC: Re: Re: Spooking / Vision Problems

In a message dated 10/4/01 10:36:57 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
bigcreekranch@cruzio.com writes:

<<  I've been told that certain
 bloodlines, both Arab and QH, are more likely to spook than others.  An
 interesting concept. >>

    I have always believed that not enough research has been done into equine
vision problems, particularly Nearsightedness.  Combine vision impairment,
even slight, with acute hearing capabilities, a strong sense of smell and a
strong natural instinct with self-preservation and so-called "spooking" is
the result.
    "Spooking", I believe, can often be attributed to the above combination.
    If I'm right, how does one "fix" vision problems in horses.  Glasses?
Contacts? Surgery?
    Identifying vision problems is one thing...
    "Correcting" them is another.
    Breeding horses with good vision is as important as breeding them for
"good minds" and legs, in my book, and not "overreacting" to visual
stimulation is one of the telltale indicators of good vision.
    But, I could be wrong about all of this.
    If anyone has info on vision in horses reseach, I sure would love it if
they shared it.
    Thanks,
         Frank.