Re: RC: Trot/Canter

Yes, I did say change leads. And of course we should not canter the entire way. Condition, and trail are the determining factors as to gate and distance. Alternating the gates gives us both a relaxing brake, and makes the whole thing more fun. Not a hum drum boring same-same ride. You gotta use your head in all of these things. No gate is good to do all the time, constantly. Even the walk at 50 miles has its owne problems. Annie G.
 Anne George Saddlery   www.vtc.net/~ageorge
----- Original Message -----
From: Jennifer Kurtzhall
To: Annie George
Cc: ridecamp@endurance.net
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2001 6:30 PM
Subject: Re: RC: Trot/Canter

Shouldn't we consider which is harder on the horse MECHANICALLY as well as just what the heart monitor says? My horse canters with a lower heart rate but I wouldn't let him canter a whole ride. The canter puts a lot more weight on the front end and if your NOT changing leads it's uneven concussion isn't it?

I would think that a good ground covering trot, not the big extended floaty kind, with a little cantering here and there to break it up is the most efficient way to get down the trial.

JK