Re: RC: Runners and horses

At 10:23 PM 1/24/01, guest@endurance.net wrote:
>I just read that human marathoners do not run 10K and 20K races, therefore
>horses should not be in LD if they are in fact 50 racers.

Karla - this was straightened out privately, but unless I missed a post I
don't think anyone ever wrote that horses *should not* be in LD if they are
fast 50 racers, and I don't think that the speed of competition was the
issue at all, just the distance.  I myself wrote that the marathoners *I*
knew didn't do shorter distances and compared that to horses.  In other
emails it came out that I was using the term marathoner loosely, and was
speaking of ultra-marathoners, many of whom do not use the 10-20K races to
condition or train in, but do use longer races (shorter than the ultra
distances).

So I stand partially corrected on that.  To carry the analogy through, it
seems that 50 mile horses could benefit from LDs, but that 100 mile horses
might not, but would on the other hand benefit from 50 milers as
conditioning races.  It's all relative.

Lif Strand
Quemado NM  USA
             Lif & Paul Strand  STRAND ENTERPRISES www.fasterhorses.com
           Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
                 Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options
HERITAGE ENDURANCE RACE June 9, 2001 - http://www.fasterhorses.com/race.html