Re: RC: Runners and horses

An endurance ride of 50 miles is composed of shorter distances with rest between.
Just for argument, say 4 12.5 mile segments with 30 mile holds between. So the
conditioning for such an event would be different that for an event that is just
a 50 mile race. The same is true for 100's although many 100's have longer
stretches - especially in the beginning.

The top horses are those that recover the fastest - at the top most rides are won
in the checks not on the trail. So I would suspect that speed work is very
important if you want to make it to the top and I would believe that both
distance work and speed work is very important at all distances.

 If you look at the winning times for 100's these days, they are running sub 2:30
25 mile legs for the 100 miles. I would find it very difficult to believe that if
a horse could not eaisly cruise to a sub 2 hour 25, there would be little chance
to do a 10 hour 100.

Truman

--
Vertex Engineering, Inc.