From: <guest@endurance.net>
To: <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 21, 2001 10:39 PM
Subject: RC: LD AND OPINIONS

> Debbie Ekhaml Dekarab@home.com
> Hi Ridecampers,
> Just some thoughts-I have recently gone back to LD from Endurance because
I'm starting a new horse (he's almost 7)  I must say I was pretty shocked at
how poorly the LDers are viewed and treated.
> I just returned from the Fire Mt. ride.  I enjoyed the ride; it was well
run and nice weather.  I was dismayed however, to listen to the Duck give a
15 minute diatribe about how bad LD was
> and how "many more horse deaths occurred from LD than Endurance" how LDers
overide their horses etc.  What?  I guess I don't understand how doing a
fast 50 on a 5 year old (which in my opinion is way too young to be doing a
50 since most Arabs don't mature until 6-7)is any different than doing a
fast 25.  You wouldn't run a marathon until you were good at a 10K or 20K.
LD has a place in the AERC for many reasons.  Not all LD front runners are
bad just like not all Endurance riders are good.  It took us 4 hours to do
30 miles (and this was on a very fast course).  I got off my horse and ran
or tailed up some of the hills.  My horse had excellent vet scores, was at
criteria at the finish line, and could not have eaten or
>  drank any better.  Yet I feel like a criminal because we finished first.
I wasn't trying to, it just ended up that way.
> He looks fabulous today also.  But, my feeling is it takes a year or more
to build up bone, tendons, and ligaments and until then, he's not going to
do 50's.  If I do 25 mile training rides at home for a year, he doesn't get
the experience of food and water stops along the trail (there is none of
that in So. Cal.)
> and the commotion of being at a ride.  I pay almost the same entry fees
and do as much work so I am at a loss as to why
> some Endurance riders feel they are so superior as to belittle
> LD.  What if a person (or horse, maybe one with say, a thyroid condition)
is Ok enough for LD, but physically not capable enough for a longer
distance?  What's wrong with that? All this emphasis on slowing down LD
while the 50's bomb away.  Yes,
> there will always be hot shoe LDers, just like 50's.  The key
> is to educate!  The ride results for LD at Fire Mt. were read in
> alphabetical order, not placement finish.  We need to not lose sight that
we are ONE ORGANIZATION!!!!  LDers add countless
> dollars to OUR sport.  We all have to start somewhere.  Let's
> stop dividing ourselves over miles.  The nice thing about riding
> in this sport is we can tailor our riding to not only our
> individual personalities, but to our horses abilities.  Unlike
> some other equestrian sports where they all must do the same thing.  Yes,
I LONG to get back to Endurance, but I enjoyed my
> LD ride this weekend just as much!  Please, Please people, before you
critisize, look in your own backyard.  If we all