LD AND OPINIONS

Debbie Ekhaml Dekarab@home.com
Hi Ridecampers,
Just some thoughts-I have recently gone back to LD from Endurance because I'm starting a new horse (he's almost 7)  I must say I was pretty shocked at how poorly the LDers are viewed and treated.
I just returned from the Fire Mt. ride.  I enjoyed the ride; it was well run and nice weather.  I was dismayed however, to listen to the Duck give a 15 minute diatribe about how bad LD was
and how "many more horse deaths occurred from LD than Endurance" how LDers overide their horses etc.  What?  I guess I don't understand how doing a fast 50 on a 5 year old (which in my opinion is way too young to be doing a 50 since most Arabs don't mature until 6-7)is any different than doing a fast 25.  You wouldn't run a marathon until you were good at a 10K or 20K.  LD has a place in the AERC for many reasons.  Not all LD front runners are bad just like not all Endurance riders are good.  It took us 4 hours to do 30 miles (and this was on a very fast course).  I got off my horse and ran or tailed up some of the hills.  My horse had excellent vet scores, was at criteria at the finish line, and could not have eaten or
 drank any better.  Yet I feel like a criminal because we finished first.  I wasn't trying to, it just ended up that way.
He looks fabulous today also.  But, my feeling is it takes a year or more to build up bone, tendons, and ligaments and until then, he's not going to do 50's.  If I do 25 mile training rides at home for a year, he doesn't get the experience of food and water stops along the trail (there is none of that in So. Cal.)
and the commotion of being at a ride.  I pay almost the same entry fees and do as much work so I am at a loss as to why
some Endurance riders feel they are so superior as to belittle
LD.  What if a person (or horse, maybe one with say, a thyroid condition) is Ok enough for LD, but physically not capable enough for a longer distance?  What's wrong with that? All this emphasis on slowing down LD while the 50's bomb away.  Yes,
there will always be hot shoe LDers, just like 50's.  The key
is to educate!  The ride results for LD at Fire Mt. were read in
alphabetical order, not placement finish.  We need to not lose sight that we are ONE ORGANIZATION!!!!  LDers add countless
dollars to OUR sport.  We all have to start somewhere.  Let's
stop dividing ourselves over miles.  The nice thing about riding
in this sport is we can tailor our riding to not only our
individual personalities, but to our horses abilities.  Unlike
some other equestrian sports where they all must do the same thing.  Yes, I LONG to get back to Endurance, but I enjoyed my
LD ride this weekend just as much!  Please, Please people, before you critisize, look in your own backyard.  If we all
were enjoying our ride as much as I did Saturday, there wouldn't
be time for this LD/Endurance controversy!  Now, group hug and
don't forget to include your horse!