Re: LD AND OPINIONS

> Debbie Ekhaml Dekarab@home.com
> Hi Ridecampers,
> Just some thoughts-I have recently gone back to LD from Endurance because
I'm starting a new horse (he's almost 7)  I must say I was pretty shocked at
how poorly the LDers are viewed and treated.
> I just returned from the Fire Mt. ride.  I enjoyed the ride; it was well
run and nice weather.  I was dismayed however, to listen to the Duck give a
15 minute diatribe about how bad LD was
> and how "many more horse deaths occurred from LD than Endurance" how LDers
overide their horses etc.

HI Debbie,

I will not comment on LD versus endurance, but have a few comments to say on
how the veterinarians are dealing with the issues.  I went to a ride where I
dropped from the 50 to 25 the night before (my horse was more than ready,
but I was fighting a flu). The pre-ride meeting had a diatribe (as you
describe it), from the head vet, where he said the LD'ers were pretty much
scum; that they sure better know how to do their own P & R's, not get into
trouble and expect any help from the vets, and better damn well get out of
the way for the 50's. It left a really bad taste in my mouth, and I thougt
sure would have discouraged any newbees from continuing in the sport.

I hate this attitude that the 50's are more important than the LD ers!  BOTH
have paid good money to be in the event!!!
Since the 50's are racing for some sort of placing or points that is
important in THEIR own brain, I fail to see they have the right or attitude
to blow anyone off the trail or shoulder anyone out of the way.......I mean,
how important is this really?!

I know some are in the sport to gain points to be on regional teams, gain
recognition for their breeding programs or set some sort of records.
Personally, I find this sort of competitiveness with adults distastfull, and
resent that it would endanger anyone.  Until the day when there are big
purses for the winners, isn't basically a recreational acitivity?

Well, as far as vets opinions and remarks directed toward LDers, I believe
one can only share their opinions with the
ride managers. YOu can politely tell them later that the vets were very
discouraging and you won't be back to that ride.....

Karen