Re: RC: Re: LD AND OPINIONS

Least people think that all rides and all regions treat LD riders as second
class citizens, I would like to invite you to the southeast region to ride. At
SE region rides you will find we welcome riders at all distances, 25, 50, 75 and
100.  In the SE you will find ride managers that strive to see everyone,
regardless of the distance has a positive experience. In fact at one ride, the
ride manager's husband has been known to go out and ride with new LDers -
usually a bunch of juniors, but not always, escorting them through the course.
In several SE rides, where it is possible, you will find ride managers marking
extra trail to keep the 25's and 50 separated during the early portions of the
ride to minimize the "fly by" of the leaders in one distance having to pass the
slower horses in the other distance. In the SE region you will find a "special
meeting" after the general ride meeting for new riders - who are usually new
LD's - discussing topics ranging from electrolytes, pacing, the flow at the vet
checks and answering all questions.

In the SE you will find vets who are concerned about the safety and quality of
experience of all riders and horses - be they new 25 milers or world class 100
milers. In the SE region you will find sufficient vets and personnel so that the
lines are minimized and no rider is given preferential treatment. It is first
come, first serve - but it doesn't matter since there is seldom much or a line.

If we do have rides that don't live up to these standards, we have a regional
organization that will help them to do so. We believe in the SE region that all
riders deserve to be treated with respect.

Truman
Southeast Endurance Riders Assoc.

--
Vertex Engineering, Inc.