AERC NW Director statement

I spent the day out exploring new trail for our October ride. Enjoying the
horse, the sun, the rabbit brush in bloom, the expansive sky.  For me, this
is really what Endurance is about. And I think that this is what it is about
for almost all of us that are so addicted to the sport. We don't need more
rules, we just need to get out and ride!

Here's my nomination statement (I'd like to be a director for the NW for
another term) - what I think about the sport, and some of the divisive
issues AERC has.

Race vs Ride: This is a sensitive topic for many. Endurance is a demanding
sport - hard on riders and hard on horses. There is no denying this. Whether
we ride slow or fast, it is still a LOT of miles. If we choose to race or if
we choose to accumulate high mileage we still have to accept the
responsibility of selecting a capable horse, and training it for the job. I
honestly don't think it's any harder on a fit trained horse to race a few
rides at speed than it is to do a thousand slow miles. Either way if the
horse is not conditioned for the job and given adequate rest and care it is
going to develop problems. Do what you enjoy and be responsible for yourself
and your horse.

Limited Distance: I think this is tremendous addition to the sport. More
people can be involved and enjoy the sport and the trails, the horses are
ridden fewer miles. I don't consider LD second class in any way. It is
easier on both horse and rider and yet still a respectable challenge. This
is a good thing. I see it as a sport in itself, not simply as a stepping
stone to longer distances. I think AERC should fully support and embrace LD.

International: I've been lucky enough to have a truly outstanding horse -
and because of this wonderful horse and the support of my family I've had
the opportunity to ride overseas. A very special experience. And for me it
was still about riding the trail - flying through Napoleon's forest in
France, climbing dunes and skirting camel herds in Dubai, making every step
and every moment count. These were races, yes, and somehow that made the
thrill of riding on foreign trails even brighter. I would do it again, and I
would support any individuals that set their sights on International
competition. I don't think we (AERC) need to feel threatened or concerned
over the International aspect of the sport. There is room for all, and for
99% of the rides and riders it makes no difference what FEI is doing. We
love our horses, love our trails, and this will never change here in the
USA.

Licensed Vets: Currently AERC has neither rules, regulations nor
recommendations regarding the requirement of ride vets to be licensed.
Licensing is done by states, and each state has its own policies regarding
'foreign' vets. It is not a simple issue. As a ride manager, I will make
sure that any vet I hire is also capable of treating a horse without
breaking state codes. But, this is not an AERC rule. Should it be???
Probably.... Will it be? Hard to say, but some sort of policy (if not a
rule) is probably forthcoming. If there is an issue (e.g. a horse vetted by
a non-licensed veterinarian dies or becomes ill) who is liable? AERC? The
ride manager? The vet? There are enough aspects to this issue that I don't
entirely understand that I wouldn't choose to push the issue forward as a
Director, but would probably depend upon recommendations by the AERC
veterinary committee as to the best solution.

Rules & Bylaws: I don't think we need any more rules, we probably have too
many as it is... but I do respect John Parke's recommendation that we update
the AERC bylaws. He's a smart, rational, fair-minded guy, with a legal
background and if he says we need to deal with it, I believe him.  I think
it is reasonable to have Directors file a conflict of interest disclosure.
We are all involved in many aspects of the sport and some of us make a
living from the sport, and it makes sense to publically disclose this.

I'm sure there are more issues - and I'd be happy to answer any questions
you guys have.

Steph Teeter
NW Director