Where does UAE stand? from Angie

Angie McGhee Rides2far@juno.com
I've been watching the news and trying to imagine how these
events are going to effect endurance.  On the one hand it sounds
as if the Taliban hates Muslims who bring "infidels" to their
country. So..I assumed they disliked our UAE riders...after all
they've invited an awful lot of us "infidels" over to visit.

Then today when I heard the *very short* list of governments that
 recognize
the Taliban government the UAE was on the list.  There is talk
of "rich" Arab nations who pay what amounts to protectionist
extortion monies to the radicals simply so they'll be left alone
but now Bush is demanding that they choose sides and will no
longer ignore such support. Isn't our endurance Sheik their Minister of
Defense? Looks like he'd be involved in any deals
that have been made.

I can't help but think that the "Most Preferred" Race is a thing
of the past or at least it'll become a local intramural. I saw that the
Sheik M..(can't spell the rest)
was buying Thoroughbreds as usual at Keeneland last week so I assume he
may continue to compete here? I would think their
Olympic dreams are up in smoke. (Imagine providing security for 100 miles
of trail)  I see the emphasis going back to National Competitions.

Anybody else been giving this any thought? Opinions?

Angie