RE: Where does UAE stand? from Angie

> Angie McGhee Rides2far@juno.com
> I've been watching the news and trying to imagine how these
> events are going to effect endurance.  On the one hand it sounds
> as if the Taliban hates Muslims who bring "infidels" to their
> country. So..I assumed they disliked our UAE riders...after all
> they've invited an awful lot of us "infidels" over to visit.
>
> Then today when I heard the *very short* list of governments that
>  recognize
> the Taliban government the UAE was on the list.  There is talk
> of "rich" Arab nations who pay what amounts to protectionist
> extortion monies to the radicals simply so they'll be left alone
> but now Bush is demanding that they choose sides and will no
> longer ignore such support. Isn't our endurance Sheik their Minister of
> Defense? Looks like he'd be involved in any deals
> that have been made.
>
> I can't help but think that the "Most Preferred" Race is a thing
> of the past or at least it'll become a local intramural. I saw that the
> Sheik M..(can't spell the rest)

H.H. General Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum, Crown-Prince of Dubai,
UAE Minister of Defense  ;-)

> was buying Thoroughbreds as usual at Keeneland last week so I assume he
> may continue to compete here? I would think their
> Olympic dreams are up in smoke. (Imagine providing security for 100 miles
> of trail)  I see the emphasis going back to National Competitions.
>
> Anybody else been giving this any thought? Opinions?
>
> Angie

Angie,

very difficult point. Have been thinking about that since the attack because
I saw a lot of people from the UAE the weekend before at the Juniors World
Championships in Spain. BTW, Sheikh Mohammeds son, Hamdan, was the winner
there. Where had been the US-riders???
Will the UAE be involved in this? Hard to tell. If you see the UAE a one
country, than maybe (with a very very huge ???). But if you look at the UAE
as single countries, mainly Abu Dhabi and Dubai, than I really have my
doubts that Dubai is involved. Dubai is opening for the tourism, is growing
and full of glamour. Dubais oil reserves last for "only" about 30 years. So
Dubai, mainly Dubai city is a look-a-like to the big western cities. Dubai
has some kind of re-build of the WTC, not as huge, but it's there.
Abu Dhabi is a bit different, its oil reserves should last for about 700
years. So Abi Dhabi is more traditional, oriental, "old". But even there are
huge stable with hundreds of top endurance and race horses. Grandchildren of
the Abu Dhabi Sheik are among the leading riders.
I won't really say that one of both is involved into that act of terrorism,
the same for the rest of the UAE.
It may be possible that individuals from either of those countries are
involved as it might be possible that some individuals who live or lived
here in Germany are involved. But don't blame a whole country for such
creatures.

Just my 2 cents,

Wolfgang
Endurance Trainer&Consulter