Re:High-line/setting up camp

I use a high line with an elastic cross tie clip rope with a safety snap at
one end and a bull snap at the other.  I try to keep the end of the clip
rope about a foot off the ground.

Weekend before last I was at a NATRC ride in Oklahoma and it rained buckets.
One of the two posts I cross tied between sagged, the clip rope got some
slack and my horse managed to get a rear leg over it (I have no idea how).
He burned his hock and gave himself a few small cuts trying to get loose.  I
found him after about fifteen minutes of bondage and triggered the safety
snap.  Not fun.

I use feed pans which are always out, a hay net tied to one of the high line
supports, which I try to keep filled, and a water bucket secured to the
other of the high line supports which I also try to keep filled.

I also make it a point to rig things up so that the horse has shade at least
half the day.  If there is no nearby shade, I tie so my horse can get under
the awning on my trailer (which he's used to).  I've also rigged up a tarp
in a set of trees or attached partially to my trailer just for horses to
use.