High-line/setting up camp

Hi all

      Went camping/riding with a bunch of friends this weekend.  They are not endurance riders, just people who like to ride.  I noticed everyone had a different way of setting up their camp.  So, let's take a survey.  All horses/mules, etc. were on a high line.  Some had the clip an inch off the ground so they could lay down.  Others had the rope short so that the horse could just barely put their head down so they could rest while standing.  None left water out at night.  Half or so left hay out.  Others left nothing out at all to eat/drink.  What do you guys do?  I have a muck bucket that I leave filled with water, both night and day, as well as hay, as much as he wants.  I leave the clip about a foot or so above the ground.  He lays down and sleeps on a line great.

Linda S.
Memphis, TN