Re: Saare tree sizes

Barbara B. Peck said:
>I'm one of Sharon's saddle fitters...
>If you'd like to email me with specific questions, I can try to answer them.
>
>There are 7 sizes of trees,  and that there's about 20% of the horses I
fit,  that for various reason, can't be fit with these 7 trees sizes.

I have a gelding with a very hard-to-fit back that I needed to have a good
fit on and started looking for a saddle for him a year or so ago.  I
inquired as to a rep in my area, stating that I was ready to pay for the
reps time but was concerned that none of the saddle trees would fit
him...and was very specific in my first post regarding this.  I was
planning on buying a *new* saddle for him and was definite in that aspect
as well -- that I was prepared to make a deposit if we could get a tree
that fit -- but paramount was that the saddle I purchased fit well.

I received a post in response that was very curt and was overly emphatic in
regards to unethical intentions -- getting the rep out to my place, fitting
the tree, and then running out a buying a used one after using up the reps
time and not having a sale.  I understand that there are some who have done
this...I'm not stupid.  I was aware that it could happen, which is why I
stated my intent in my first post.  I had heard good things about the
saddles but was very aware of the gelding's difficult-to-fit back,
realizing that there may *not* be a tree that would fit.  I sent a second
post in response to the one I had received explaining that I had ethics,
had no intention of running out and buying a used one after a successful
fitting, my time was just as valuable as the reps, I intended to pay the
rep for the fitting (whether or not I bought a saddle), and so on.  I
received another post that had a very stern, possibly angry tone to it --
not necessarily directly aimed at me, but at prior situations.  (I saved
the posts and have just reread them to make sure that I had indeed tried to
make my sincere intentions known any way I could.)

Consequently, due to these responses, I went elsewhere for the saddle...and
have, since then, purchased two *new* DeSoto saddles (a third one purchased
by Aarene for use on her horse and Billy, one of mine) and we've been very
happy with them.  My honest, sincere intent was there and has materialized.

I guess my point is, partially, that having the rep out to fit the horse
and then hunting for a used one with that tree is not a nice thing...and it
basically creates an unwelcome atmosphere for those who plan on purchasing
a new one.  The rest of the point is that no business is so secure that it
can afford to offend people ready to hand them a bunch of money.  It
doesn't change my opinion regarding the saddles -- from what I've heard and
seen, they are good saddles.  And the rest is that there really are horses
out there that possibly won't fit into one of the trees...and that those
owners should be prepared to pay for the reps time and expertise, not be
greeted with admonishing letters because someone else had been guilty of
this indiscretion, and *not* show up shortly after a fitting with a used
version.

Sue

Sue Brown
Tyee Farm