Re: Halter Bridle Combos

Hi Jennifer and List -

I have a couple of bh halter/bridles and I don't care too much for how the
bit hangs, either. They look messy and floppy. Some just cannot be adjusted
properly, in my case, the bh is just too long. So depending on what type of
bit you're using, you have to shorten up the halter part too far, making it
too tight, while the bh is still too long. Either start cutting stitching
apart and resizing to your horse, or trade it off to someone who can use it.
This spring, I bought a beauty at Equine Affair, for Bobby (14.2 Arab), w/
the matching breastcollar and reins, all beta. The bh are way too long. I
use it on Dani (15.3 Qh mare).

I have found a couple makers of h/b's, which have bit loops w/buckles at the
noseband ends, which work better. You can place the bit in directly from the
front. Works especially well w/ a curb bit. Tucker makes a nice, leather
model, Arab or Horse size.

I also like the headstall over halter idea. I made mine with a thin nylon
rein, put on buckles at the bit ends and on both cheekpieces, with small
rings attatching cheeks to poll strap, and also ran a browband off of the
headstall. I sewed a couple nylon keepers onto the halter cheekpieces and
another one onto the halter poll strap. The headstall is attatched to the
halter at these keepers, and the cheekpiece rings are tied to each other w/
pieces of thin mountain rope. Looks nice and neat, holds the bit properly,
and acts like a one-piece unit. I can also use a snaffle or curb bit or even
a mechanical hack or sidepull. It is adjustable to fit all three horses. It
took me about an hour to put it together.

Hope This Helps -

Cheryl in WNY
Horse kids Kit, Bobby & Dani