Re: Norco RideInjury and NATRC

>>Seeing sick horses does scare me. I hate seeing it. I hate seeing horses
in pain from tying up or colic or convulsing on the ground from heat
stroke. I see it too often at endurance rides.<<
>> I have never seen a horse treated at a NATRC ride that I have attended
but I have seen MANY horses treated at AERC rides. Something we should
 all think about.<<

I have done three NATRC rides, about 1000 miles of ECTRA and 4000 miles of
AERC.  I have never, ever seen endurance horses convulsing from heat stroke.
How often does that happen??

Comparing NATRC to AERC is like comparing oranges to apples.  4 MPH is a
slow jog for my endurance horse who has covered 50 miles at a rate of over
10 MPH.  The risks go up proportionally.  All of us need to assess if it is
a risk we can take, and act accordingly.  It has been stated many times
here- We are solely responsible for our own actions.  No one is saying
either sport is 'better' but only different.  If the original poster feels
that endurance is 'unsafe' or even foolhardy, then they need to stick to the
safer aspects of distance riding, and that would be NATRC, unfortunately it
doesn't 'do it' for many of us and our equine partners.

Laura Hayes AERC#2741