Re: RC: Re: Norco RideInjury and NATRC

>  >>Seeing sick horses does scare me. I hate seeing it. I hate seeing horses
>in pain from tying up or colic or convulsing on the ground from heat
>stroke. I see it too often at endurance rides.<<
>>>  I have never seen a horse treated at a NATRC ride that I have attended
>but I have seen MANY horses treated at AERC rides. Something we should
>  all think about.<<
>
>I have done three NATRC rides, about 1000 miles of ECTRA and 4000 miles of
>AERC.  I have never, ever seen endurance horses convulsing from heat stroke.
>How often does that happen??

We've  had 4 NRRs--two treatments the first year for
tie-ups--consisting of a shot of Banamine.  No treatments the next
two years.  I've never seen a horse in this circumstance.  We had a
bunch of ties too, one case of thumps all of which quickly resolved
with treatment.  2 horses required 37 liters of fluid, staggering
amounts.

It was very hot (14 degrees more than was predicted at vet 3, close
to what was predicted at basecamp) and between 60 and 70% humidity,
very unusual for our area.  The head vet warned the riders of the
severe environmental conditions and what to do about it during the
ride meeting.

My 6 vets did a fabulous job, particularly Drs Beasom and Hewitt on
the treatment of the two major cases (Had 4 full-time, had arranged
for two to vet after they finished the 25.  Normally, 6 vets would be
overkill for 150 riders, but we needed every one of them.  My 4th
fulltimer got pulled away by her practice twice, as low vet on the
totem pole--talk about teeth-grinding time for me!)  I've heard that
the horse is doing very well after a day of follow-up care on Sunday,
with no organ damage.  :-)

>Comparing NATRC to AERC is like comparing oranges to apples.  4 MPH is a
>slow jog for my endurance horse who has covered 50 miles at a rate of over
>10 MPH.  The risks go up proportionally.  All of us need to assess if it is
>a risk we can take, and act accordingly.  It has been stated many times
>here- We are solely responsible for our own actions.  No one is saying
>either sport is 'better' but only different.  If the original poster feels
>that endurance is 'unsafe' or even foolhardy, then they need to stick to the
>safer aspects of distance riding, and that would be NATRC, unfortunately it
>doesn't 'do it' for many of us and our equine partners.

Yep about the risk-taking, and responsibility for one's own actions.

Lynne
beleaguered ride manager
P.S. Thanks for the dozens of posts from NRR riders in private about
having had fun this year!