Re: RC: Re: Re: GENERATORS AND NORCO RIDE

>> What is the purpose of the
>>generator?  I'm curious becuase I have a camper; and use both propane for
>>fridge, stove and heat; and then solar panels for recharging the battery to
>>run my lights.
>
>>So all of you with generators-what the heck are they for?
>>Karen (just curious)
>
>I'd like to know the answer to that, too, because I used to use a Marine
>battery that kept everything I needed charged up for a week.  Recharged at
>home to be ready for the next trip.  It kept lights, heater, fan, etc.
>working.  Had propane stove in the gooseneck.  If those batteries work so
>well, what is the point of a noisy generator?
>
>Amber

There is no point to a noisy generator, when there are nice quiet ones like
an Onan.  I only briefly turn mine on at campouts:  the outside 120V plug
on the RV has occasionally been drafted for service in heating up a big
coffee pot for volunteers/vets/judges/fellow campers, and that requires the
generator;  and the marine batteries need an extra charge on cloudy/foggy
days because the solar panels can't recharge them to the full voltage the
electric thermostat for the propane refrigerator needs to function if we've
been running lights or the heater/blower or the water pump (showers,
dishes/toilet flushes) during the prior evening.

Last time I was at Norco it was two years ago and I didn't have my RV -- I
was sleeping in the bed of my pickup.  I don't recall any generator noise,
bothersome or otherwise.  But I do recall late arrivals clattering by with
their noisy diesel trucks and rattling horse trailers -- and especially I
recall an ill-mannered stallion a couple camps away who screamed all night.
There are lots of noise sources in a ridecamp.

Lynn Kinsky (Santa Ynez, CA)
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky