Re: RC: Those Damn Generators

Hey Howard, do a search under solar generators (for
campers/RV's). Pretty interesting. Not knowing how much the
conventional type might cost, these may be a bit on the
spendy side, but QUIET!!! Hey, maybe you could be a
salesman and target the endurance crowd, and then write off
your gas/travelling expenses to get to the rides to
advertise! I am also a tent camper, so I know how you feel,
although we generally camp next to the other tent campers
and avoid the generators. (Usually the outskirts of the
camp!)

heidi

--- Howard Bramhall <hwb67@msn.com> wrote:
> OK, my fellow ridecampers, I just returned from my
> Georgia trek, and wow.  The weather was so much nicer
> than that nasty Florida summer stuff I had to return to.
> Peace, quiet, restful UNTIL THOSE DAMN GENERATORS cranked
> up.  I had one to the north of me and one to the east and
> it was like quadraphonic stereo rapppppp music.  My
> getting in touch with nature and bonding with my horses
> just came to a ear blasting overture, climatical
> conclusion.  I was not a happy camper.
>
> Why on earth do these things have to be so loud?  And why
> on earth have we decided this is how we want to commune
> with nature and do our endurance camping?  I know I'm one
> of the few tent people left; I can accept that fact.  And
> I'm glad ya'll got so much money you can go out and spend
> 30, 40 or 50 grand, or more, so you can take your living
> room couch, stereo, TV, microwave, washing machine,
> Jacuzzi, bath tub, swimming pool along with you.  But
> that damn generator that you use to power everything up
> has just got to go.
>
> I have no trouble with you bringing along your luxury
> items, but to be quite frank, the only time I envy you is
> when the temperature gets below freezing and my tent
> turns into an igloo. When things hit the survival stage,
> go ahead run your generator to keep yourslef from
> freezing to death.  Other than that I think some of you
> just might be missing out.  If I wanted all those luxury
> items to tag along with me, I would have stayed home.
>
> Anyway, why on earth can't they make generators that are
> not as loud as the ones I seem to be camping next to?
> Our great country has yet to put out a decent air cooled
> combustible engine, except for, maybe, Harley Davidson
> and John Deere.  I own 4 lawn mowers and every one of
> them has turned into a piece of dung.  But none of them,
> when running, take on the decibel level of those God
> awful generators.  Even Bernie's dog, Lucky, spent most
> of the weekend with his paws covering his ears from the
> stupid noise.
>
> Well, if you want to get rid of me and keep me out of
> endurance, I think this is the answer.  It put a real
> damper on what otherwise would have been a beautiful
> weekend.  But if everyone's gonna start going that way
> than I'm just going to have to reconsider the whole
> thing.  My ears, what's left of them, just can't handle
> it.  And this isn't the way I want to spend my time.
> Heck, you can't even have a decent conversation with
> those things running.  Is this really acceptable to
> anyone?  If it's the future, than I plan on living in the
> past.  Cause I ain't going down that highway; no way, no
> how.
>
> cya,
> Howard

=====