Re: RC: CA horses etc.

Hi Lisa; when I got home from Tevis, my three year old filly's lower lip was very droopy, we could pull it and flap it it was so droopy. Her mother was laying flat out in the pasture like a dead animal. They didn't go to Tevis. I think it was the California dry heat, they were having Siesta's. Did you go to the haggin cup judging and the awards? Some of those horses were real peppy.  They just needed a sleep after the ride. I was lookin pretty droopy after that ride too, not to mention filthy. (Takes at least 3 showers including surgical scrub brushes to get cleaned up enough for polite society) Stopped at a couple of coffee shops, and the waitresses commented, "Gee you guys look really tired!" it was that apparent. We said, "Oh we were helping over at the Tevis" They nodded knowingly. Asked if the horses were in yet.   Yeah that camping out in the parking lot is grim . I can tell you that one rig that I saw out there, had several horses tied to it. They had been pulled rather early in the ride, so they didn't go 100 miles. They didn't seem to have a lot of foresight (I'll be diplomatic) in their choices of where to park their horses during the weekend. Never saw the people around them either.  But most of the horses in the barns were frequently checked at intervals by riders, crew, vets, and given plenty of food of many variety's, lots of water, and we put three bales of shavings down for the horse we were looking after. We pretty much left him to rest though, 'cause who doesn't want to unwind and rest after working such a long shift.   Hope you get to come out again, that part of the country really grows on you, it is very very beautiful.   Beth