Re: RE: A Sad State of Affairs

Truman, just so you know, Robie Park is a very remote area in the Sierra,
six miles out of Truckee on a dirt road in the mountains, with very little
traffic.  The likelihood of anyone living in the area even knowing when
Tevis would be camping there (or what Tevis is, for that matter) is slim
unless they lived on a road that was used by horse trailers going in.  It is
not in a metropolitan area, although the finish line and stadium certainly
are.  Foresthill is a very small country town 17 miles from Auburn on a
windy road that has very little through traffic.  The town does definitely
know when Tevis is there - it's a pretty big thing in Foresthill.

I am going to ask the owners of Robie Park if they have had any problems
when other groups have used the campground.  There are both endurance rides
and CTR rides located there, and it is available during the summer to
equestrian groups.  It just seems to me that no one would steal a new riding
helmet at a place that remote that didn't want a new riding helmet.

The rubber water tub at Robinson Flat, a remote place several miles into the
mountains from Foresthill, is strictly ride-involved.  As anyone who has
crewed there knows, just getting there is half the fun.  The saddles at
Foresthill and the fairgrounds, however, are a different situation.
Probably riders or crew, but certainly others have access also.  I really
hate to think professional thieves are involved, but everyone will have to
be more on guard after this.

You make a valid point about beefing up security, but this will not be easy
to do.  When did endurance rides start having to do such a thing?

Joan Dowis