Re: Fwd: RC: EZ boots/foam

At 03:35 PM 08/07/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>>I called EZ Care and asked how much to use.   With one foam kit it is
>>suppose to
>>last through 14-16 boots (my kit at the above rate will only last for 8
>>boots).

4-6 boots if probably more realistic, especially if you are using size 2
boots.  John Parke may be able to get 14-16 uses out of one foam set. <G>

>>The rep said you don't want the foam coming out the tops of the boots.
>>Just enough
>>to cover the bottom of the hoof and maybe coming up slightly
>>on the sides.    Is this the way the 50 milers foam their boots on?  Or do
>>you apply
>>enough to come out the tops and backs of the boots?

I like to have it come up all the way around, then you've got a good
seal.  You know you did a good job when the foam also comes out the little
hole in the buckle....then the buckle stays down.

>>When using vet wrap over the hoof and foaming the boots on-does that
>>reduce the
>>holding strength of the foam at all?

It all depends, too many variables.  It depends on how the boot fits the
hoof, how the horse moves in the boots (does he ever interfere or step onto
the boot with another foot?), how well you did the foam job, etc.

>>Are there any tips for using foamed on EZs on barefoot horses?

Just make sure the foot is clean and dry and has been disinfected first
with iodine or a bleach solution.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in NV