Re: AERC and charges

 ----- Original Message -----
From: LSimoni197@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2001 10:08 AM
To: lanconn@tds.net; ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: RC: AERC and charges

What I would say if AERC were to adopt a policy to levy charges against the
rider of a horse which died on a ride is;

"No new rider should join AERC, or do our rides."

I am so sorry any horse ever dies, yet all horses will die.
Most of us do our best to keep our horses heathly and sound, yet even in
pasture and stalls illness, injury and death occur.  Why, or how do you think
they can be totally avoided on a ride?

What a Salem Witch Hunt this subject has become.  I personally do not wish
AERC to run around carrying a hot branding iron with the letter A, to put on
the forehead of any poor person who had the misfortune to have a serious
problem with a horse on a ride.

Lynge

Lynge makes a valid point here.  I think we can hurt an AERC member enough by filing the protest, making a ruling on the protest, and putting it all in print. It's about as close to a public flogging as we will ever get in the 21st century.

We don't need to sue the person or litigate the matter in Civil Court.  That will lose members very quickly; and I'd hate to see that.  Besides, have you attended Civil or Criminal Court lately?  Talk about a three ring circus!

My problem lies with the riders, who attend AERC rides, who are not members of AERC.  During the discussion of the mare who dies at the NASTR ride, I noticed that the owner of the horse was not a member of AERC and it's one of the reasons charges were not made/filed against her.  Evidently, you can't file them against someone who doesn't belong to AERC.  I do think the BOD should consider closing that loophole somehow.

So, for non members, maybe another course of action should be looked at.  And, maybe, if we can't file a formal protest in this particular situation, talking about it on Ridecamp isn't such a bad idea after all.  The horse must come first.

cya,

Howard