Re: RC: AERC and charges

LSimoni197@aol.com writes:

"No new rider should join AERC, or do our rides."

I am so sorry any horse ever dies, yet all horses will die.
Most of us do our best to keep our horses heathly and sound, yet even in
pasture and stalls illness, injury and death occur.  Why, or how do you
think
they can be totally avoided on a ride?

Goodness, this train of thought is frightening to me. Yes, horses die - but
generally NOT at the hands of their owners/guardians who are responsible for
KEEPING the from dying. Even profound ignorance can be somewhat forgiven,
since far too many HORSE owners are terribly ignorant, let alone those
purporting to be skilled enough to ride 50 or more miles; but to indicate
that it is not unusual for a horse to die at a ride is just downright,
head-shaking wrong. Sorry, but horses should NOT die at rides - yes, some do,
but this should NEVER be considered normal, acceptable or (perish the
thought) part of the game. No indeed - when we have a profusion of
information, attendant vets and RMS, medical emergency help available, WHY OH
WHY would ANY rider not avail him or herself of those things in order to save
his partner's LIFE?????No - sorry - absolutely NO excuse in the world will
satisfy THIS rider, who wouldn't DREAM of refusing help for my partner in
this event - a trailer ride, medical intervention, etc - this is just
downright foolish. These people shouldn't have pets of any kind - or most
probably children, either.