Saddle sore - still :o(

  ::sigh::  Ok, just wanted to update y'all as I'm still having problems.
 To refresh - I have a bum knee and ride in an Abetta endurance model.
Been using it for nearly 10 years now.  After a 6 month layoff, in which
Scarlet was pregnant, then lost the foal, we started conditioning again.
In one 13 mile ride, I rubbed sores on her side - about calf (mine)
height, just below the blanket.  This is really frustrating.  I hurt my
knee back in '96 and have never done this to her before.  I did try an
Austrailan stock saddle and it seemed to be great.  It was very
comfortable for me.  I couldn't rub her because the flaps covered her
sides and her back wasn't sore after a ride.  Well, a week later she has
two quarter size holes right behind the withers.  Hair just fell out and
they are very tender.  I took the saddle back (major hassle with D&D to
get them to take it back - only one small scuff on it) and tried again
with my Abetta.  Short ride - just 7 miles, but fast.  Well, I was so
careful to keep my bad knee side from rubbing her that I rubbed a sore on
the right side!  I am so frustrated.  I don't like hurting my horse, but
am really wary of getting a saddle from the tack stores.  If the saddle
doesn't fit, it's hard to return it.
  Any suggestions?  I was not wanting to go the custom saddle route with
Scarlet.  Her weight varies with the pregnancies and the horse I really
plan to be competitive on is her son, General.  He's everything I love
about her, but he eats and drinks no matter where he is.  She's very
picky.  I did like that Aussie, but it fit me, not her.  Help?

Rae
Tall C Arabians - TX