new home transition

Hi All,

I've only had geldings before, but yesterday we welcomed our first mare
into our family. Her name is Summer. She's been here for 24 hours now and
we're a bit concerned because she has very little appetite.

She has only moved a 2-hour drive from her previous home, but she has left
behind her beloved pasture mate (another mare). When she first arrived here
she was curious and had a great appetite. We have one other horse (a
gelding) and though they've been able to touch noses we're keeping them in
separate side-by-side paddocks until it feels comfortable to try them
together.

Maybe any other horse I've dealt with have been too food-oriented to lose
their appetite over a move. If her appetitie doesn't pick up, at what point
should I be concerned. I don't know what a normal amount of output is for
Summer, but she creted one healthy-looking stool pile in the night and I
saw her urinate this morning.

Am I being too much of a worry wart? Does she just need more time to adjust
to her new surroundings (and the loss of the ther horse she was with for
the 2 previous years)? Should I take her for a short ride today or just let
her lay low and settle in?

Trying not to worry... Janet
zestes@sd69.bc.ca