Re: Dead Mare at NASTR

----- Original Message -----
From: guest@endurance.net
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2001 1:21 PM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: RC: Dead Mare at NASTR

sindy mccosker sindymccosker@hotmail.com
Don't you think this should be somethingthat all of us as AERC members should be
VERY concerned about??????  What I want to know is how many horses die as a
direct result of being ridden too hard. It was mentioned that there is vet data
pertaining to these stats......where is this data?  Is the data something that every
member has access to?  Is it on the AERC web site somewhere?  I would think that
we all should help get to the bottom of this horrible tragedy!!  If you were on that
ride and have information about the incident now is the time to speak up!!  This type of
problem will have a direct impact on the sport if it is swept under the rug and not
dealt with!!  Is there a time limitation to this investigation?  Wasn't that ride in June?
How long does it take to figure out why the horse died?  Let's get this out in the open and figure out what can be done to keep this from happening again!!!!!! Remember....groups like PETA could have a field day with this one.

Sindy McCosker
Horsewomen for 39 of my 43 years.  Still learning
each and every day.

Sindy, with an S, it doesn't happen very often.  Twice in the last two years, at least as far as I know within AERC rides.  And the one with Dancer, last year, could be considered questionable since the horse died from falling off the cliff, even though it appears he fell of cause he was tired and, maybe, over ridden.

We've come a long way since the gold old days as far as horses not surviving the sport.  And we do keep records on it.  All I can say is if someone who attended the NASTR ride doesn't file a protest real quick I plan on writing/emailing each and every one of you personally to ask you why not?  The whole thing is distrubing.

This silence has gotta stop damn it.

cya,

Howard