Re: RC: Preventing Herd Bound Behavior?

I have dealt with my share of horses that acted herd bound.  After a period
of training where they are taught to focus on the rider, this "herd
boundness" disappears.  I really feel that this tendency shows up when the
horse is not bonded to the rider and therefore does not trust the rider.
When the relationship develops, and the horse and rider face situations in
which the rider acts like an appropriate leader, the horse relaxes because he
is with "the boss".  I have four horses and when I ride one, the others left
behind make a racket.  However, the horse I am riding never utters a peep and
never looks back to the other horses.  I believe they are confident because I
am the "Boss Mare" and what better, or safer, place to be than with the
leader.

JMHO.

Lee