LD as training ride

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001 23:01:56 EST
BMcCrary27@aol.com wrote:

<This rather defeats the purpose of LD riding.  It is supposed to be a
training ground for young horses, or a way to return previously injured
horses to competition.  To plan deliberately to place first at a fast pace on
a LD ride is counter-productive and ill-advised.>

Then why are these ride times rewarded?  I recently attended a ride where the
top ten LD all got folding chairs and first place (with a 2 hour ride time)
an expensive pair of stirrups.  This was my second 50 and my horse was
running this same pace when I slowed her down halfway through the second loop
realizing that we had another 25 to go.  Please don't misinterpret
this.........I am a BIG FAN of LD.  We started this sport a little over two
years ago with a young horse and inexperienced rider.  I am very grateful to
LD for what I have learned and I actively encourage anyone with an interested
in distance riding to enter LD.  I am just concerned about the message being
sent when we are rewarded for speed instead of learning to pace for longer
distances.  I think Angie's idea of awarding a paid entry to their next 50 is
a great one!!!!!!  Just food for thought..........

Cathy & Jazz