Re: Fwd: RC: Lions & Bears

> Hi Beth: I was wondering what part of the Country you live in? You mention
> Mt Lions, Bears, Coyotes & Bob Cat. We have all those along with Deer,
> Antelope and Elk in Siskiyou County, Calif. A man living about 3 miles
from
> me lost his pet Llama to a Mt Lion this year. Another family found a Mt
Lion
> on their front porch eating their cat! Fish & Game was called. The Lion
was
> tracked and shot dead

Well, I do have to comment.  While I agree there can be a real threat from
renegade lions,
I have to add my opinion that many people INVITE trouble by MOVING to areas
with lions and
other predatory animals, and then not being responsible for adequately
protecting their personal pets,
livestock or watch their toddlers!

I have no sympathy to those that loose unprotected chickens, goats or cats
to local predators!  In our area,
someone lost 16 cats to a mountain lion.  In my opinion, nobody has any
business having 16 cats anyway, to
impact and destroy the local birds.

We also have local family that bought 100 acres in a beautiful rural
setting.  Some one gave them a litter of pigs, who
were turned out.....4 years later, all going feral  (probably 40 to 50 pigs)
and causing trememdous damage to their property and every one else in the
area.  A lion came into an area and started eating the young pigs......so
this family was able to get a permit and shoot the lion.  It just made me
sick.

How hard is it to have adequate fencing, or being in livestock in the
evenings?

Karen