Re: RC: Definition of a Black Hole

At 02:35 PM 6/29/01, Bonnie  wrote:
>I experienced a panic attack when I faced the Black Hole <snip> I finally
>realized I had to trust my horse and proceeded

Paul and I had heard so many stories about the Black Holes that we decided
to do a good amount of night riding through there.  We were told that some
riders would knock a flashlight out of your hands if you rode with one (and
I *did* experience a threat the first time I did Tevis because I didn't
believe the person who told me about the flashlights!).  We were warned
about the mosquitoes, but no mention of the bears.  Just as well.

First we rode through the Holes during the day quite a few times (we used
to go up to the trail a month or so before the ride, depending on snow
conditions, to train).  Then we rode them at dusk when we could still sort
of see a bit.  When we figured the horses knew it all by heart, we took
them through in pitch blackness.  Didn't matter - in pitch dark the horses
remembered everything and we still were lost.  Still lost balance, still
got branches in the face, still awful!

Simple solution:  Put some glow sticks on your horse's chest strap.  3 or 4
of them produce enough light for human eyes, and not too much to interfere
with horse eyes or those of other riders.

Lif Strand
Quemado NM  USA
STRAND ENTERPRISES www.fasterhorses.com
HERITAGE ENDURANCE RIDE June 8, 2002
* Distance Riding group/individual mentoring programs
* Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
* Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options