Re: RC: Re: Use of restraint

In a message dated Mon, 25 Jun 2001 12:56:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Jim Holland <lanconn@tds.net> writes:

<< You will hardly EVER have to use restraint if you
have taught proper ground manners: >>

To me, they are two sides of the same coin, I guess...

And all the things you mentioned are great.  Just wish I had time to do more than the basics with so many here!

I did get a kick out of this one, though:

<<5. Have a friend pick up a front....just a little...while you pick up
the alternate hind.  A horse can easily do this.>>

I remember an incident at a ride many years ago when the vet tried to pick up my foundation stallion's front foot--I was surprised because old Surrabu did it kinda slow!  Vet got the foot clear up without incident, though, and was wiggling and prodding on the leg--and I looked around and saw that a vet student had the opposite hind up, and was doing the same thing!  Poor old Bu was just being slow so he could make sure he was carefully balanced...

Heidi