Re:Barefoot

Abby Aiyagari abby1@itsa.ucsf.edu
Have you considered Horsneakers?  They are a hoof boot designed especially
for riding (not like easy boots or Davis boots).  They are custom fitted
to each horse, so they don't rub or chafe.  I frequent the
naturalhorsetrim group on Yahoo, and there are a few endurance riders on
there who say they have had good luck with the Horsneakers on long rides,
in mud and sand, etc.  They're expensive, but they last longer than shoes
and can be resoled.  I think that in the long run they would be much
cheaper than getting a new set of nail-on shoes every 6 weeks, and
ultimately better for the horse because they allow the hoof to expand and
contract.

Good luck!
--Abby