Re: RC: Bad Boy Genetics

Heidi and Kathy: I found it very interesting that you brought up this aspect.  I like Trahkeners best of all the warmblood breeds, I've always been attracted to them (If I Had to have a warmblood)  Come to find out, they are THE warmblood breed that includes Arabian blood in their Registry.  I believe it was Arabian Horse World magazine (I can't find the issue) that recently featured the Trahkener breed, and highlighted the numerous Arabians that have been used in that breed over the years.  As you know, the Trahkeners opened their registry to Arabians in the last couple years. It's a shame more people haven't taken advantage of that opportunity to influence their gene pool.  You know the first mare they took was Al Marah Xanthium who tied for first in the Tevis. She is a gorgeous big and typey mare.  Al Marah also had a stallion accepted, and that is Al Marah Quebec.  He  was the reserve national champion in Fourth Level Dressage, and does Prix St. George, and Intermediate I.    He is very typey, has very good bone, and a lovely disposition.  I have bred my mare Solstice to him, now that she is retired with a bone injury, and she is expecting his foal in next April!!   I think you are right, the Arabs may look somewhat like Trahkeners, and I believe that is because some of the Trahkeners are half arabs!   As for the sports horse classes, I think they are a breath of fresh air after all the halter scandals.  Again, Arabian Horse World did a feature on sports horses, and I notice a number of them are also endurance horses.  The Scottsdale Sport horse champion Stallion was Aul Magic, who is a nice typey CMK Aulrab son.  I am hopeful that the popularity of this division will lead people to buying and breeding horses that are also appealing to the endurance crowd.  It is also nice to know that a breeding stallion has some credentials, has finished some sort of a graded test, instead of just being put out for stud because he has the equipment.

As for the Bad Colt.  I boarded a bad colt over here a year ago.  He was vile, and we had him gelded, and it made a little bit of difference. He didn't strike as much after the gelding. But he was constantly trying to bite.  I think there was a combination of bad training/testosterone/ and genetics goin for that guy. His mother was a witchy mare, and his sire was pretty hot, and not particularly useful.  We used to joke, "Let's geld him again!"  Finally I told the owner I wasn't gonna handle him to turn him out or anything anymore, it was not worth the trouble to me.  So she moved him eventually to a different stable.    As a mare owner, I may look at this from a different perspective.  I get rare and few chances to breed a new foal, and so I have to be very very selective.  I have included disposition of the stallion very high on my list of criteria.    Interestingly, there was a gorgeous stallion I was interested in over at Al Marah Arabians, and then come to find out they gelded him at age 5 I believe.  The reason? They didn't like his behavior, he was acting too "studdy".  Now they can stand twenty studs over there, I'm sure they are very very competent in their ability as handlers. I am also sure that if he was at Midwest, or some other big show barn, they probably would still be breeding him.  I really appreciated Blythe Tankersley being extremely honest with me, and steering me away from looking at that stallion. She also seems to have the philosophy that life is too short for shitty horses. I was astonished that they gelded such a quality horse, and he is gonna make someone the most gorgeous hunter gelding you can imagine.

yours, Beth Glover