Re: RC: RE: Very underweight horse

In addition to feed cautions on a debilitated horse is the caution about
worming too much too fast. It is safe and prudent to assume that a
debilitated horse would have a huge host of worms - and would be a candidate
for more methodical worming. Ridding a horse of a huge infestation of worms
in one fell swoop can put them at risk of impaction, and as was most likely
the case with our daughter's mare two years ago (even though we DID exercise
caution), the rupture of a compromised intestinal wall due to implanted worms
being knocked off to quickly. Much better to worm in 3 doses, beginning with
the mildest, with the final being an Ivermectin.

We lost a beautiful, darling mare because after years of pasture and not
other kind of care, the worms were eradicated too swiftly apparently. As with
feeding the debilitated horse, take a measured, sensible approach.