Re: a very bad colt

> >From: "barbara marcius" <run2fast@neo.rr.com>
> >Had an incredibly lovely
> chestnut colt foaled 5/15 of
> >this year.

So the little monster <grin> is all of 28 days old
now?  I took several semesters of training & equine
psych in college (many moons ago) and ran across
several like this.  Early gelding was VERY helpful.

> >The colt?  Horrid from minute one.  Started the
> imprinting process
> >immediately, he was a jerk from the start. HATES
> being touched. Period.
> >Head, neck, ears, definite no no's.  Fighting
> everytime, everyday still.
> >Will turn his butt each time, usually at least 3
> times a day, doesn't kick,
> >but a HUGE major battle each time.

Some horses are hyper sensitive and imprint training
is not for every animal.  By pushing the issue, it may
make him more determined than ever to refuse anything
you ask to do with him.  DO NOT make it a battle.
Find at least one thing that he does like.  Touch,
brushing, music, food (although I don't like to use
food with youngsters & stud colts).  Make yourself SO
interesting that he HAS to come see what you are up
to.  (Play with the grass while you sit, tickle his
mom in the "good places", whatever.)

Make him want to come over, but don't push to touch or
handle him.  Acknowledge him, offer to pay attention
to him only if he asks for it.  If you HAVE to catch
him, use momma to help get him in a confined space for
easier handling, but try to avoid this.

I find that at 28 days, it is way too early to expect
this kind of foal to expect to lead by halter,
especially if he dislikes touch & work on his neck &
head.  My personal preference would be to can the lead
on the halter & better yet get the halter off before a
life-threatening accident happens (even with leather
or safety halters).  We would use a halter & lead, but
encourage the foal to give to pressure & our demands
using a figure 8 butt rope to encourage him to move
where we wanted him to go.

>  Wants> to bite, but of course
> >that's unacceptable.

Also kind of typical for young, alpha-colts.  You're
right, nip it in the bud! (pun intended)

> From the very start he did that mouthy submission
thing
> everytime he saw a
> >human.  Still does, but sure as heck is NOT
> submissive in any way.

It isn't always a submissive sign.  We were taught it
is also a "I'm thinking about all of this" sign.
Sounds like he is a VERY smart little fella with an
attitude a mile wide.

> >we're ready to kill him!  Have any of you had a
> nasty colt like this?  Will
> >he come around?

Yes, but only with the right handling.  Approached in
the wrong way, you can confirm his opinion that humans
aren't worth his attention & obedience & really &
truely turn him into a monster.

>He's not trying to kick or
> anything, just wants absolutely
> >nothing to do with humans whatsoever.  Now he will
> come up to little kids,
> >but that's very scary because he's way too bold and
> very much in their
> >faces.

Yep!  Little kids are interesting!  He wants to see
what's up.  Become a little kid.  Get low.  Do
interesting things.  Make him curious.  Learn what
makes him tick & what HE likes.  I agree, protect the
kids...  They really can get hurt.

I've met this horse's twin as a 5 year old.  He'd been
handled wrong & was DANGEROUS.  We worked with him for
2 years & turned him around to be a pony club horse.
It's much harder to correct later.

Remember, he is still just barely a month old.  You
have time - don't push too hard.

Good luck!

Linda Flemmer