Re: RC: a very bad colt

In a message dated Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:18:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Heather Hamper" <hnhamper@hotmail.com> writes:

<< There'll be lots of folks who would disagree but as an Arabian breeder I
would geld this colt as soon as possible.  >>

Boy howdy, no disagreement from here!!  That was the FIRST thing to cross my mind as well.  Most colts are born with their testicles descended, and a fair number of them remain descended--especially among those who display unpleasant and aggressive behavior.  I've gelded colts as young as three days, and have had several breeders who did them within the first month routinely.

I've seen several that were born aggressive like this, and early gelding usually helps A LOT.  It is not always a total "fix"--but should certainly be the first step.

Heidi