Fwd: RC: 2001 XP, /GAHR 76

Hi Karen: Thanks for sending your exciting posts from XP 2201. Made me start
reminiscing about the GAHR of 1976. The things I see as different We did not
have GPS, CELL PHONES, LIVING QUARTERS TRAILERS and NO      COMPUTERS OR
INTERNET. In place of GPS we had Larry Lewis who went out on his motor bike
and marked the next days trail. I don't know of anyone getting lost. He was
super and nothing would have gone right without him! CELL PHONES? what's
that don't think they had been invented yet. LQ Horse Trailers, no such
thing. Some had Campers in back of their Pickups. I had a Shell and the back
was where I kept hay, grain,water clothes etc. No room to sleep there so I
slept on a cot in my two Horse Trailer with a Horse tied on each side. Easy
Boots had just been invented and Easy Care gave us all a set of 4. Bless
them! Alas I did not have time to learn how to put them on! I don't think
the various farriers knew much about them at that time either. When we could
find a KOA site we would go there for a hot shower otherwise it was the
bucket. I bet you don't have the GREEN Latrines! That trailer followed us
from Frankfort New York to Cal Expo in Sacramento! I tried to call my
daughter once a week. Sometimes I sent a letter to my Boss who was also my
Sponsor. After weeks went by we were out of touch with most everything going
on in the world and we did't care, we just wanted to RIDE and never wanted
it to end.
Things I see as the same:WEATHER, SCRATCHES, NICE PEOPLE ALONG THE WAY,CREWS
AND FREINDSHIPS, SITES  AND MEMORIES YOU WILL ALWAYS CHERISH. We had Weather
too, lots of rain and almost every Rig had to be towed out of a field one
day. The Farmer send his 10 or 12 year old boy to do the Job! Kids learn how
to drive tractors on farms as they don't need a drivers license. After
towing out several rigs he disappeared. Said he had to go and get more oil
for the tractor.
He came back and finished the job! Do we have Kids like that today? In
Kankakee, Ill. we had a Tornado alert. That was scary. I put both of my
Horses in the trailer and took shelter in a Club House where the camp was.
The brunt of the storm passed us by. As for Scratches we had plenty. One day
we rode on a freshly oiled road. Every horse had oil on all four legs. Our
wonderful Vets told us all to get that stuff off or else. After some
discussion it was decided that cheap vegetable oil was the best remedy. That
night my horses got VEGT OIL LEG BATH. Unfortunately some Riders  did not do
too good a job and got scabs on their horses legs. I found out early that
prevention is certainly worth a pound of cure. From then on every nite I
washed all eight legs with horse shampoo (wonder blue) and dried them off. I
then applied good old Destin regular on the heel pastern area.This will
prevent scratches. Neither of my horses ever had scratches the entire trip.
One of my horses (Pirate Loot also called "Hud") was a Albino with all pink
skin. Both of my horses finished sound at the very end in Sac. I put
Vinegar in the grain mix every day to ward off bugs. Seemed to work. We
did't have a lot of choices for electrolytes in those days but I got some
tablets from my Vet at home before I left Calif. I gave each one a tablet a
day. My nose was getting very sun burned so I started riding with a painters
nose filter. Yes and always long sleeves.
Take lots of pictures and try  and keep some notes if you are not too tired
at the end of each day. Most of all have Fun!  Bye Hope