Re: Bet is On / ti/Bill/Smokey

In a message dated Wed, 6 Jun 2001 11:03:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Tivers writes:

<<
In a message dated 6/6/01 5:27:40 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tos@htcomp.net writes:    << June 5th has passed.      TI offered a bet, Cliff responded, put up cash and wrote out specifics.      Was ti's $1k deposited in the trust?      Is verifiable proof being gathered?      Becky Huffman, Cleburne, Texas   Huffman's Arabians ~ The Original Series ~ >>    Cliff is on vacation and I am visiting my parents. Bill is also out of town, but he has volunteers ready to give notarized depositions if that is the requirement that will satisfy the requirements Cliff has laid out. My requirement is simply that we have an independent arbiter of good character. That would not be you, Becky, nor Heidi, nor Darolyn, not Cliff, not me.     I'll be delighted to make another side bet with you while we're at it if you have the slightest courage of your convictions.     John and Steph Teeter, despite being included in Cliff's recipient list, say they have not interest whatsoever in this subject. I w!
ill take John's word and suggest
 him as another possible arbiter of this situation. Said arbiter will decide what constitutes "adequate proof" and sit in judgement thereof. I will deposit my money with that arbiter. Will you? Will Heidi? Will Darolyn? Will Kathy? You're the ones who have publicly called this man a liar.       Meanwhile, I have no evidence whatsoever that any money has been deposited anywhere with anyone. Just so that we know you're not lying through your teeth, perhaps you could persuade Heidi to provide that proof.     Tom >>

Tom, this bet was YOUR idea, not mine.  To have me hold the money was YOUR idea, not mine.  But I've been a good sport and gone along with it, despite the fact that I, too, have been out of town and horribly busy the past couple of weeks.

Bottom line--so there would be NO question that the money is really put up, it is deposited in my attorney's trust fund.  My attorney is Milton A. Slavin of Salmon, Idaho, and you can verify that the money is indeed in his trust fund (and has been there for about two weeks now) by calling him at 208-756-2030.  If you are paranoid about it, check him out--I'm sure the Idaho Bar Association and the Lemhi County Courthouse would be glad to assure you that Mr. Slavin is real and reputable.  If Mr. Slavin hasn't heard from you regarding arrangements to add your own $1000 to the kitty by the close of business on Monday (6/11), I'll assume that you aren't willing to put your money where your mouth is, and will instruct him to return Cliff's money.  (BTW--I'm taking liberties here--the offer from Cliff was only good until 6/5.)

Nobody asked for notarized depositions--just eye-witness accounts from people involved with the ride circuit in which Bill has allegedly competed--namely vets, managers, and other riders.  (And no, Tom, I didn't call anyone a liar--all I did was ask for information on the circuit, because I was curious about it.)  If you DO cough up the dough and the evidence, I'd be more than happy to run it past John Teeter before coming to any conclusion, if it would make you happy.  I don't think John and I would have any difficulty at all, given ANY sort of tangible evidence, figuring out if the rides did or did not occur.  You're big on "substantive" information, Tom--we're waiting...

Heidi

PS:  And in answer to Becky's question--no, to date, Tom has not deposited any funds, but then the above quoted correspondence dated June 6, one day after the bet expired, is the first response I've had from him.