MPG w/ trailer vs. without

Every once in a while(years!!) I check the mpg on my truck.  On a recent
one-horse haul out-of-state, I checked it.  The results were slightly over 9
mpg.  This past weekend, our family took the same truck w/o trailer on an
out-of-state trip.  Results- slightly over 18 mpg.  I would like to consider
how to improve mpg with the g/n trailer.  Can anyone comment on the idea of
removing the solid tailgate to replace with one of those strappy gate gizmos
or something else.  Would this improve mpg while towing?  I'm concerned that
the airflow through the truck bed will change.  I store stuff back there
when hauling.  When using the truck w/o trailer, supposedly, one can improve
mpg just by leaving the tailgate down.  Are there stats on that anywhere, I
wonder?    Any discussion appreciated!               Kathleen (in the
gas-guzzling Ozarks)

---
Checked by Expert Anti-Virus.