MPG w/ trailer vs. without

 When using the truck w/o trailer, supposedly, one can
> improve> mpg just by leaving the tailgate down.  Are there stats on
that > anywhere, I> wonder?    Any discussion appreciated!

When it comes to aerodynamics under goosenecks I only have my "one rat
research" which happened one of the first times I hauled with my friend
towing her new Featherlite gooseneck.  We had left a 5 gal bucket in the
back and had no idea the turbulance the gooseneck would cause. The bucket
was just flying around everywhere so I decided to crawl out the cargo
window and retrieve it.  When I crawled clear of the window suddenly I
got hit HARD from behind by an incredible gust of air and my shirt almost
went off over my head!  I managed to get the bucket and get back with my
clothes still on but with my short hair standing straight up and found my
two hauling partners were absolutely crying they were laughing so hard.
They said I was never to go out there again without being on a tether!
Believe me, it was an adventure. I've even heard of someone having a
saddle lifted up and thrown out by the wind under a gooseneck.

When it comes to driving without the trailer I think research shows that
having the vehicle end sharply creates a pocket of suction behind it.
That's why they added spoilers on back of a trunk lid, to send the air up
so it wouldn't create the suction.  A tailgate is a lot more abrupt than
a spoiler, but I think if you ride in the back of a truck and lay against
the tailgate you'd see that most of the air goes over the cab and clears
the bed. You would not feel like you were on the hood, but, having been
in the back of a trailer pulling a gooseneck (which I REPEAT I do not
advise) I don't think there was any less air hitting me there than if I'd
been the hood ornament.  I think everything changes with the addition of
the gooseneck and a mesh might help, but I sure wouldn't put anything
lighter than a concrete block back there.

Angie
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.