Re: saddle placement question

One of the most common mistakes made when placing dressage saddles is to place
them too far forward.  They should be placed so that the saddle panels are
behind the shoulder blade to allow for freedom of movement.  The pommel of the
saddle should be two fingers lower than the cantle -- more than that (when
placed just behind the shoulder blades) may mean that the saddle is too wide.
The panels should have full contact and not be sticking up above the horse's
back and the channel should be clear of any contact with the horse's spine.
It's best to check this with weight in the saddle to make sure there is no
contact (do this without a pad for better visibility.)  Also, in my experience
with Wintec dressage saddles (I have several for teaching purposes), they tend
to widen a little bit with use.  Placing a dressage saddle too far forward
will
place the stirrup bars forward (putting you in more of a chair seat) and sit
your seat bones on the cantle rise instead of in the deep part of the seat.
This tends to tip you forward and, in an effort to sit straight and tall, you
end up with too much arch in your low back, difficulty getting your feet under
you, and a loss of relaxation in your lower body.  The saddle in the correct
position will sit you so that the backs of your heels are in a straight line
with your hip joints and your shoulders -- which should all be
perpendicular to
the ground.

Hope this helps.

Sue