RE: saddle placement question

I agree with all the opinions that "english" type saddles should be set back
behind the shoulders. Lot's of hunter seat riders are taught differently but
what's importent is that the bars or points of the saddle tree are behind
the shoulders when the horse is stationary and moving. If a forward seat
saddle has very forward flaps, the flaps may sit over the shoulder as long
as the tree is behind it.

Most western style saddles were not designed to sit this far back. If you
compare english saddles to western saddles you'll realize that there is a
whole lot more rigid tree in front of the rider  on a western saddle. Lot's
more tree. The tree usually flares out at the front of the saddle and is
designed to sit up over the shoulders. I'm not saying this is a good design
and won't bother your horse when you ask for a good swinging trot, but
that's the way they were designed, from what I can deduce. The horse's back
structure can support the riders weight best if the rider is seated close to
the withers. Most english saddles, especially dressage saddles allow this
positioning of the rider close to the withers, without interference with the
shoulders.

Sport Saddles! I owned a Sport Saddle, used it on two different horses and
tried and tried to keep it behind the shoulders. It kept riding forward and
rubbed the back edge of the shoulders on both horses. I sold the saddle.
I've since then been looking at all the Sport Saddles that my various
neighbors ride in. They place them further forward so the front of the
saddles do extend up over the shoulders. They work just fine in that
postion! I'm talking about riders of all weights, feather weight up to heavy
weight and horses that do 50 and 100 mile rides. No sore shoulders, no sore
backs, no dry spots. I may have to try a SS again. Geeez!!!!!! Of course the
tree system in the SS is differnt from a standard western style tree.

Just food for thought.

Bonnie Snodgrass