Re: RC: Standing to Mount

I'm sure I'm going to have to put on the asbestos undies for this one,
but
heregoes anyway. My mare on whom I had almost 2000 miles (before she
retired to
be a mom) and who knows how many training miles and just trail riding
miles was
16-2. One of the first things we learned together was unless there was a
crain
handy it was much easier on both of us for her to move on off forward
when I
mounted. The forward motion helped pull me up on into the saddle.

So this became our routine. She was not running away from pain. She was
not
taking off. She was not "being bad." I grabbed main, put my foot in the
stirrup
and she just move on down the trail - pulling me up as she went.

So given that the horse is not moving for the wrong reason, there may be
reasons
to train them to move on off.

Truman