fitting breastcollar & crupper

I adjust mine both fairly snug. Just enough room to run my hand (flat) under
the straps without tight pressure.
Your horse should get used to the crupper & learn to relax their tail for
it.
IMO gapping flapping straps are begging to get caught on brush & stuff. When
we're in a vet check I unsnap the strap over the top of the neck, which lets
the rest down for more comfortable eating. If the center ring is adjusted
properly low, it really doesn't interfere with quick grazing along the
trail.
Nancy Mitts