Standing to Mount

Hi Jessica,

We tackled this problem in our natural horsemanship clinic using some Dennis
Reis methods.  A couple tips:

From the ground, have the horse bring his nose to you (you are at his
girth)..bending his neck.  He should be supple and non-resistant, reward him
when he does it by letting go and letting him stretch out his neck.  You
should do this on both sides and often (a good muscle warmup).  Then,
whenever you mount, you also bring the horses head around to you...much
harder for them to move off or spook away.....

Anytime the horse moves when you are to mount you are to (from the ground)
move him off in circles around you. If he wants to move have him move but
work..so do small cirles, leg yields..disengage that hind end.  Then,
'invite' him to stand and be mounted.  You stay calm and keep the energy
level down..take your time.  He will get the picture very quickly.  Praise
him and do not mount up...reward him by getting off the saddle and praise
some more.  So get half way up, if he moves, get down..move him...if he
doesn't move...get down...praise him...do it again.

It is important to do this from both sides of the horse...they perceive
differently on each side.  It is fine to also use the mounting block making
it easier for him.  But make the reward be him standing still, make sure he
is yielding to pressure with his head, and make sure he is respectful of
your space and not running over you.  If he is there are other issues
involved.

You will soon have a horse who stands still and allows you to mount from
anywhere.

Email me if you have any questions..
Take care,
Kimberly (&Mystery the Morab.."I'd rather stand still then do side passes
anyday...")