crupper and breast collar adjustment

Ok, I've started using a crupper with my mare - and my hubby thought it
would be a good idea too with his mustang too since he has no withers.

We've always used breast collars, but probably haven't paid enough attention
to exactly how they should be fitted.  If I fit tight enough to where I
think it would keep my saddle from slipping back more than an inch, the
straps cut in a bit when the horse eats.  Not enough to stop them from
eating, but it just looks uncomfortable to me.  So I loosen up a bit.

But that's enough for the saddle to slip back a few inches.  Not really a
big deal, it usually comes back forward and isn't back enough to mess up
balance or piss off the horse.  But now that we're using a crupper, when the
saddle slips back a bit, it is very loose.  The horses haven't been reacting
badly to this, but it certainly doesn't look comfortable.

It can be a little tough to adjust the crupper from the ground before we
start riding as the horses are more likely to be a little clamped down.
When we move, tail goes up and things are right away looser.

So this got longer than I'd planned, but could someone please discuss how
both a crupper and breast collar should be adjusted, especially when using
both?

Thanks,
Marlene